The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society is a not-for-profit local organization devoted to the preservation and interpretation of Long Island’s past; in particular it is concerned with the history of the Bellport, Brookhaven, East Patchogue area. The Society pursues this goal through its museum, its historic house with its ancillary structures, its museum collections and gallery exhibitions, its educational programs, its outreach to the community, and its publication of studies on local history and material culture. Seeking to provide knowledge and insight into the cultural inheritance of the area, the Society is a resource encouraging and assisting individuals, the public sector, and private organizations concerned with historic preservation.
The Society was founded in 1958, and is governed by a board of trustees. It has over 400 members. The Society’s first president was Robert H. Pelletreau, a direct descendent of the well-known Revolutionary era silversmith Elias Pelletreau. New members and volunteers are always welcome.
The land on which Bellport Village and Brookhaven Hamlet are situated was purchased from the Unkechogue Indians on June 10, 1664. Brookhaven Hamlet was first settled in 1681 and Bellport Village was established in the early 1800’s. Part of Brookhaven Hamlet is a designated “historic district” within the Town of Brookhaven. On July 4, 1980, the National Register of Historic Places added to the Register over 80 houses in Bellport Village. In 2001 Bellport Village established a Historic Preservation Commission, which has since designated four historic districts in the village. The Historical Society’s Museum Complex is situated in the center of these districts.